Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Johnson 90 hp powertrim problems (clicking)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson 90 hp powertrim problems (clicking)

Hello,

Yesterday I was cruising on choppy water and halfway my destination I noticed my trim was not working anymore.
    When I operate the trim on the shifter or on the motor I only hear a clicking noise of the relays.

I already tried cleaning the contacts of the relays and manually check all the connections but it didnt do anything.
    At the moment it's raining and the boat is still in the water so in a few days I will try some things.

First I will check if the relays work properly with a multi meter and replace if necessairy.
    If this is not the problem I will try tapping on the motor while operating and clean the brushes if necessairy.
    I don't think it's the battery because when the engine is running it doesn't work either, correct me if I'm wrong .
    The hydraulics should be good because before it worked like a charm and it's just the motor that's not running.

Regards,

Jasper

Trace the PTT motor wires to its connector and disconnect it. Run small jumper wires from the battery to the two wires in that connector. Being a duel polarity electric motor, if it runs in one direction, it will run in the opposite direction. Let us know what you find.
    Our Questions Require Answers... If You Refuse To Answer Our Questions... How Can We Answer Yours?

Comment

So you mean the blue and green wiring coming from the pump? Just connect the cables with the positive and negative and check if the motor spins?

Greetz,

Jasper

Comment

Yes.
        Our Questions Require Answers... If You Refuse To Answer Our Questions... How Can We Answer Yours?

Comment

Just tested it and it dindn't do anything, i checked tje voltage behind the relays and its 13 neg or pos when I test the switch

Comment

Is it allowed to unscrew the release valve so I can yank the engine up to get to the trim motor while the boat is still in the water or is there a danger of water getting in the hydraulic fluid?

Comment

I wouldn't try removing the trim motor while the boat is in the water.
              '83 Springbok 16' with Franken Xflow, in Southern Alberta. If it ain't smokin', it must be broken.
              Avatar: "Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch" - Zappa
              My 90-140 engine up-build thread: http://tinyurl.com/hz8uv47

Comment

Disconnected the blue and green cable from my trim pump and tested them while connected to a volt meter, 13 volts negative when I trim up amd 13 volts positive when I trim down.

Is there another cable like a ground cable connected to the pump wich have may come lose?

Comment

Originally posted by xagneovox View Post

Is there another cable like a ground cable connected to the pump wich have may come lose?
                  No.

Comment

Originally posted by xagneovox View Post
                    Just tested it and it dindn't do anything, i checked tje voltage behind the relays and its 13 neg or pos when I test the switch
                    If you're saying that you hooked up small jumper wires from the battery directly to the two wires leading to the electric PTT motor and it did not run, the electric motor requires repairing or replacing.

DO NOT attempt to work on that unit while it is in the water!

Back out the manual release valve no more than two turns!

Comment

Working...
                    X