Looking for 5.0 MPI long block

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by harleyman1975 View Post
    OK to put an end to this I called Mercrusier customer support. They DID NOT assemble or balance the long blocks that they received from GM. ...
    That is simply not true. I don't know who you spoke with but level one customer support may not even know about these things.
    Once again, watch this video of the production facilities.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXDFmv1Fcqw

Notice at around 12:40 the narrator says "once the longblock is assembled". That is a GM components engine that they assembled.

Comment

OH YES we all know everything on the internet is true...and it only says "after it is assembled"...not "after we finish assembling it" Believe what you want. I believe the guy at Mecruiser. The only engines they balance are the Racing engines.

Comment

This is not just some video on the internet.
        It is published by Mercury Marine.

And quit trying to change the words. I gave you the exact quote in my post.

Parts matching for balance is simple. The computer does the whole job. We're not talking about 3-plane race engine balancing.

I get it, you have some kind of thing where you want to believe that you can take an auto crate engine and stuff it in a boat and everything will be fine. Please by all means go ahead. That engine will never last as long as one assembled by Mercruiser.

Comment

2002 Bryant 188 4.3MPI

Comment

Originally posted by greno View Post
            That is simply not true. I don't know who you spoke with but level one customer support may not even know about these things.

I can tell you with authority that they did not balance any GM motor not even the mercury racing motors.
            Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
            1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
            2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
            1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

greno: Obviously you are much more knowledgeable than I and furthermore It really makes no difference whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post

I can tell you with authority that they did not balance any GM motor not even the mercury racing motors.
                From Mercury Racing...
                http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/engines/540-2/

"The 540 features a CNC machined cylinder block packed with Mercury Racing designed components, including a balanced crankshaft..."
                It goes on to talk about the smoothness of the engine. That comes from proper balancing.

Nobody in their right mind is going to market a racing engine with a 2 year warranty no less and not balance it.

Comment

There's always been some sort of misconception of who exactly put most of the base model engine blocks together (And verbiage like at 12:40 of the video don't really help the cause) by way of once the engines got to a marine manufacturer, did the engine come apart to install new "marine parts" internally.......While it may have happen at some-point in time for certain engine type/size models, it really wasn't the norm for all engines coming in the door on the regular.....From the links/info below, it should help you see where the marine side worked really close with GM over the years to help better the engines internally for marine use at GM.

Since that time, other engine builders caught on with what parts are being used/installed at the "Marine GM Plant Side" and started doing about the same to be able to sell marine engines too.

Now that some of the marine manufactures have slowed using GM marine blocks, they are now starting to design their own marine engines from scratch which is slowly building at this very moment in time.

GM Powertrain takes its expertise in designing outstanding Vortec truck and SUV engines and leverages it to make sophisticated yet extremely durable marine engines. In addition, the well recognized Vortec brand name by itself has become a valuable selling tool for OEMs.
                  http://www.gmpowertrain.com/marine.html

http://www.gmmarinepower.com/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-UMT_2aLvQU8LC

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...c9KwsMkVj1SZ44

Now with that, The Mercruiser re-manufacturing process is pretty top-notch evident by the following video which is done in house if interested Dmaxx85, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PN95XvC48k

Or maybe http://eagleenginesales.com/remanufa...arine-engines/ can help.
                  Last edited by Fun Times; June 28th, 2018, 03:15 PM. Reason: Added another option for an engine source to continue the OP's question.
                  OEM Quality Gear Lubes And Greases Available @ iboats.com - BOAT SPECS - FORUM GUIDELINES - Volvo, OMC & Merc Stern Drive Technical Information For DIYers. - OEM VOLVO PARTS POWERED BY iBOATS.COM - All OEM Parts / Parts Lookup Now Available Through iboats.com -

Comment

Originally posted by Dmaxx85 View Post
                    does anyone know of a place that sells mercruiser 5.0 long blocks for a 2005 near NY?
                    Jasper is a week out and looking to buy and receive ASAP. Thanks
                    Is anyone going to help Dmaxx or are we going to continue flopping body parts out on the table arguing about an outdated 4 year old video?
                    BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
                    Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                    That is what the forums are for.
                    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Mod Edit - Help the OP or leave the thread.

Mod, did you look at the posts after the OP asked his question?
                      There were multiple posts that answered his question.
                      And you don't need to overwrite existing posts.

If he wants specifically new Mercruiser, he's going to have to find a Mercruiser dealer. There's plenty of them on the internet.
                      If he wants to consider used Mercruiser, he can find those on eBay or at any of the engine rebuilders.
                      Last edited by greno; June 28th, 2018, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greno
                        GA_Boater, as moderator why are you redirecting this thread and overwriting and now deleting posts?
                        That is just really bad etiquette.
                        I answered your question in the post you deleted.
                        greno This is a Mod team effort to put this topic back on track before the quick decision comes up to just close this topic altogether in order to move onward with our day.

I redirected the topic to it's proper sub-forum location plus my post above was more meant to help stop a forward motion of an on going, getting aggression motivated, falling off topic discussion and to get back on the right track somehow without further hostility involved which doesn't seem to be happening thus far.

GA_Boater didn't delete your post, another Moderator did which usually is an indication things just need to be done with this one in particular and we'd all appreciate if you could do the same in here....Thank you in advance.
                        OEM Quality Gear Lubes And Greases Available @ iboats.com - BOAT SPECS - FORUM GUIDELINES - Volvo, OMC & Merc Stern Drive Technical Information For DIYers. - OEM VOLVO PARTS POWERED BY iBOATS.COM - All OEM Parts / Parts Lookup Now Available Through iboats.com -

Comment

Ok, can you please can stop diddling with the posts?
                          Jeezus, I'm going to start taking screenshots of these shenanigans.

The OP got his question answered and I think everybody else has made whatever point they wanted to make.

Comment

Originally posted by greno
                            GA_Boater, as moderator why are you redirecting this thread and overwriting and now deleting posts?
                            That is just really bad etiquette.
                            I answered your question in the post you deleted.

Here it is again:
                            If he wants specifically new Mercruiser, he's going to have to find a Mercruiser dealer. There's plenty of them on the internet.
                            If he wants to consider used Mercruiser, he can find those on eBay or at any of the engine rebuilders.

Bad etiquette is ignoring advice and continuing the argument. Bad etiquette is also saying you said one thing, when you said another. What you edited into the post after my edit was not that ^^^, it was this;

The Reman video shows the indepth capability of engine building at the Mercury/Mercruiser facilities.
                            It gives you a sense of just how much knowledge that Mercury has in building long-lasting marine engines.
                            GM Marine and now other engine builders are starting to emulate what Mercury/Mercruiser has been doing for decades.
                            This is what caused the help or leave the thread edit. BTW - I looked at every post in this thread.

dmaxx - I sincerely apologize for this hijacking of your thread and hope you found something worthwhile to assist your search.
                            BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
                            Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                            That is what the forums are for.
                            Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Working...
                            X