Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augusta to Savannah river trip

Hi guys,
    Been thinking bout putting in and going down the Savannah river. Its a max 200 mile trip, may be an overnighter.
    No fuel available the entire way, undeveloped, alligators, hornets, wild pigs, shallow, adventure a plenty.

From what I can gather, there is a group that runs 18 to 20 foot I/O powered bowriders on fathers day weekend. At 30 - 40 mph, they sleep at the hilton in Savannah and buzz back the next day, putting in at Thunderbolt marina. At my speeds, its going to be an overnighter.

Anybody have experience in this water?

Thanks in advance.

I live in the area and know that people do occasionally do this trip. The river has been running quite low this year due to the lack of rain and I would be quite leery of blasting down the Savannah at planing speed since it meanders quite a bit and who knows what is lurking under the water. Here is a link to a blog about a guy who did the trip in a kayak a couple years ago.
    http://bit.ly/1TjlFgO. At the time he did it the river was running high. Doing the trip in a power boat would turn it from a camping trip to a glamping trip.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on water level. While the kayak sounds fun, I think that a 14 ft with a tiller steer on back will make it bearable for an old fart like me.

Comment

This trips is fabulous which provides some stunning experience which make your tour special. You can also see some fabulous animals here such as Sea lion, etc.

Comment

Pick your dates....like October or April, when the weather, bugs, water level could be better....overnighting in hot weather is not much fun. I do mine when the evenings are about 65 F and days around 85F......

Comment

Working...
          X