Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of fire extinguisher do you carry on your boat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roscoe View Post

I travel to Canada once or twice a year, and every year, the question on whether we can even possess a flair gun arises.

We have asked the conservation officers on the lake, and they were not sure if non residents could cross the border with and possess a flare gun. Told us to ask at the border.
    Here is your official answer taken from the CBSA website and published as a memorandum to the border officials:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...9-13-2-eng.pdf

The copy and paste function does not seem to work properly on this site so I direct you to the definition in the above link regarding "Uncontrolled Firearms", paragraph 4 (b), which specifically mentions flare guns used for signalling.

"Uncontrolled" firearms do not generally fall under Tariff item 9898.00.00 and are generaly admissible into Canada.
    "(b) ... any device that is designed exclusively for signalling, for notifying of distress ... provided that the importer intends to use it only for the purpose for which it is designed."

P.S. Just be sure to declare it when crossing.

Comment

Originally posted by rcmpvet View Post
      The length of the vessel in Canada is only one aspect as to the requirements for a fire extinguisher. Just because your vessel is under 20' (6M) does not mean it can be without a fire extinguisher. The key part of the requirement is whether there is a fixed fuel tank in the vessel, or cooking, heating or refrigerating appliance. There are many vessels under 20' that require a fire extinguisher as per the regulations:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...5.html#docCont
      Yes you are 100% correct. Fixed fuel tank in any size boat requires a fire extinguisher, I was thinking signaling device on a vessel smaller than 20'.
      Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Originally posted by rcmpvet View Post

Here is your official answer taken from the CBSA website and published as a memorandum to the border officials:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...9-13-2-eng.pdf

The copy and paste function does not seem to work properly on this site so I direct you to the definition in the above link regarding "Uncontrolled Firearms", paragraph 4 (b), which specifically mentions flare guns used for signalling.

"Uncontrolled" firearms do not generally fall under Tariff item 9898.00.00 and are generaly admissible into Canada.
        "(b) ... any device that is designed exclusively for signalling, for notifying of distress ... provided that the importer intends to use it only for the purpose for which it is designed."

P.S. Just be sure to declare it when crossing.
        thank you
        Medford, WI

Comment

Depends on which boat. I have 2 dry chemical 10-BC's plus 1 auto engine room system on the 25 ft cabin, and want to replace the 2 dry chemicals - plan to get 2 more for that boat. I want to replace 1 for 14 ft aluminum, 1 for 19 ft ski boat.

Are the new(er) aerosol cans OK for any boat? Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X