How Big Can I Trailer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Big Can I Trailer?

I'm looking for a little advice on boat selection and trailering. I'm in the market for one of three boats. In order of preference:

Model LOA Beam Dry Weight
    Chaparral 290 30'8" 10' 9700
    Sundancer 290 31'1" 9'6" 9250
    Chaparral 280 29'0" 9'6" 9100

My trailering need is 16 miles over 30-45 mph state roads twice a year. Roads are fairly tight around here in CT, especially the last mile to the water.

My original plan was to hire someone with a hydraulic trailer. Got estimates around $500-$700 each way. The major advantage is someone else deals with it and I no longer have to deal with trailer brakes in salt water. I can also paint the bottom easier. Some years I could even just leave at the marina for about $1500, but I prefer to work on it at home. One of the things I don't like is that in the rare case of a hurricane scare I likely won't be able to get the boat out. I would rely on one or two people.

My other option is to buy a trailer. I recently saw all these boats on trailers. I would likely hire someone to tow, which is significantly cheaper than the hydraulic trailers. My father has a 2004 6.0L diesel F-250 but I think his hitch is 2" and we are reluctant to tow something that big. Unfortunately with trailer I have to deal with painting the bottom, and I doubt I could jack it up like I do on my current 4000 lb boat.

So I was looking for any helpful advice. I feel much more comfortable with the chap 280 just by looking at the size. But the numbers don't appear to be much different. Although I think the 10' beam is unfortunately just pushing it too much. Any helpful advice?

Over width may require permits, short trip or not.
    2002 Bryant 188 4.3MPI

Comment

Anything over 8’-6” in my state is oversize.

Comment

8’-6” is the typical limit to tow without oversized permits. Some states are 8’-0”. So, you’ll be getting the permit.

all of those boats should be fine to tow.
        Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
        Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
        Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Comment

Working...
        X