Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

This forum section is heavily moderated. Please click here to view our Dockside Chat posting policies.

In order to maintain the friendly, all-inclusive, family-oriented environment of the iboats.com Forums, this non-boating discussion area will be heavily moderated. Topics such as politics, religion, and social controversy will be removed as will jokes and other humor which single out any specific group (gender, religion, race, etc).
See more
See less

Hey Newbies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post

Chris, that is because they are ask-holes

definition: Ask-Hole - noun, a person who constantly asks for advice yet does the opposite of what they are told.
    I actually find that some people will only hear what they want to hear. They'll ask for help on x subject, and what they want to hear is that, for example, a bit more fuel in the tank will solve the problem. And they will KEEP ASKING until someone tells them that putting more fuel in the tank will solve the problem....

Chris......
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100 below.
    1972 Bertram Bahia Mar 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
    (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

achris that is called upper management
      Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I'm sure I've asked some repetitive/dumb/obvious questions in my time... it's the nature of any forum like this. It's the same here as on other forums I've belonged to... new people come in, unaware of the rules (or etiquette) of the forum and they make mistakes. It's been like that since I first joined pre-Internet BBS systems in the '80s and it has never changed.

Personally, I'd rather a new member ask a dumb question and get a respectful, helpful answer that encourages them to come back here and trust our opinions/advice. A dismissive or gruff response, no matter how justified, is only likely to discourage newbies from coming back, which means they won't have the benefit of knowledge that could increase their enjoyment of boating or maybe even help them avoid a life-threatening problem on the water.

People repeatedly ignoring advice known to be good are in a different category, in my book. But even then, it's not hard to just move along and help those who actually read and pay attention and try to understand.

Finally, although I think it's easy to stereotype a generation and attribute those stereotypical traits as the cause of bad newbie behavior, but stereotypes are rarely very accurate or useful when looking at individual people. I could probably find hundreds of posts by non-millennials who are just as eager to find a quick fix or who can't be troubled to understand their boat enough to diagnose problems.

I'm glad people find us here and try to get help. If 5% of the become active forum members who end up helping others they way they were helped, that's great. I'd wouldn't want to belong to a forum where newbies were afraid to participate because they might not 'do it right.'

Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

You guys need to turn off the computer and go boating.

A new boater that knows nothing about boats, maybe even was talked into buying a boat, won't know what maintenance items to perform, or how to perform them.

Lighten up Francis.

To all you new guys looking for help, ask away. Do give us as much info as possible, but don't be shy.
          If these guys don't want to answer, so be it.

And as for the search function, it hasn't been worth a carp in 5 years.
          It can't even find a post I made 2 days ago even if I use a direct quote form it.
          Medford, WI

Comment

1976 Starcraft Kingfisher Frugal Functional Fix-up
            1976 Starcraft Chieftain 18' OB - restomod
            Garage Project
            ------------
            There is a fine line between stoic... and DEAD.

Comment

Roscoe, its not that we dont want to help, its just that some of the newbies dont provide any information and repeatedly keep asking the same question ignoring our requests for information to help them.
              Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
              1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
              2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
              1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I asked for more info in a new thread once. Then I got notified that I was mentioned in a thread. Went to the thread and it was a reply with incomplete info.

By then the thread was a year old!
                BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
                Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                That is what the forums are for.
                Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Working...
                X